What is Screencast-O-Matic?
Screencast-O-Matic (SOM) is a free tool that allows you to create screencasts (record actions on your computer screen, audio from your microphone, and/or video from your webcam). Each video recording can be up to 15 minutes long.
- Narrate over PowerPoint presentations
- Record demonstrations
- Explain a problem or ask a visual question
- Give audio/video feedback to peer
- Computer (Mac or Windows)
- Screencast-O-Matic account: Register here
- A microphone/headset
- Internet connection
- Practice, practice, practice
- Having a script or talking points is helpful to keeping you on topic
Screencast-O-Matic Video Guides
Visit: Screencast-O-Matic Help
How to Record with Screencast-O-Matic
- If you haven’t already, register for a Screencast-O-Matic account here
- Go to Screencast-O-Matic
- Click on Start Recording (you will need to accept any prompts to allow/install the Java plugin)
- A dotted line will be drawn on your screen. Drag the handles to include the area to be recorded.
- Below the recording screen you will find the following control panel options:
a. Click and hold to drag frame around screen
b. Start recording
c. Set microphone volume
d. Select standard size to capture
e. Select a webcam to record
f. Select a webcam to record
g. Cancel recording
- After selecting all the appropriate settings, click Start Recording. The recorder will begin recording your audio, video if selected, and anything inside the red line.
- When recording starts the control panel options will change to the following options:
a. Pause recording
b. Microphone indicator
c. Length of recording (max 15 minutes)
d. Delete and restart the recording
e. Stop and save recording
- After clicking Done, the SOM preview window will appear.
- Play the video to review your recording by clicking the play button in the lower left of the screen. If you are happy with the recording, choose Publish to Screencast-O-Matic to save your recording on the SOM server. You will be able to share your recording using the provided link or embed code. If you do not want to save the video select Done with this recording. The recording will not be saved.
How to Publish to Screencast-O-Matic
NOTE: When you click on Start Recording again, it may bring up the previous recording. You can choose to use this recording or delete it from the computer to create a new recording. Clicking delete means you will not be able to republish the last recording. Any presentations previously published will remain available for viewing.
- Click on Publish to Screencast-O-Matic
a. Type a Title for the recording
b. Type a description for the recording
c. If you have set up channels, select a channel
d. Choose the SOM Options (uncheck Searchable if you would like your video to not be searchable)
e. Click Upload to SOM to save recording.
- Once the recording is uploaded a link to the recording will be displayed (this link can be used to share the recording with others)
- Click on the link to view the video and locate the embed code.
How to Access Your Recordings
- Go to Screencast-O-Matic
- Click Login in the upper right of the screen
- Enter your Login Email and Password
- Click Login to access your account
- Click Uploads to view recordings
- Hover your mouse over a recording for additional options:
- Get link to share, embed, download
- Edit info for screencast
- Choose the channel where the screencast is located
- Delete this screencast
- Click on a recording to view the recording, add notes/comments, and view additional information about the recording